Introduction (File Download /Norwegian Laste ned /Khmer Download)
(By Mèn Nath, Leader for KBS)
- More than 535 million Buddhists in the World (Buddhistforbundet, BF:2015)
- Buddha (Name: Siddhartha Gautama) was born in India (563 – 483 BC): Birth place at Lumbini, Nepal (today) and passed away in Kushinagar, India.
- Most people in East Asia: China, Tibet, Japan, Korea, Mongolia, and South East Asia: Cambodia (95%), Thailand (90%), Burma (85%), Sri Lanka (70%), Vietnam, Laos,… etc.
- Forward to USA, Canada, South America, Australia , Europe, Africa –(new resettling residences).
- Buddhists in Norway are bout 40000 people (8%), (BF:2015)
There are 2 main parts: Theravada and Mahayana
1- Theravada or Hinayana Buddhism
- Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and South Vietnam.
- Buddhists must practice like Buddha – Goal: Nirvana/Nibbana (death)
2- Mahayana is separated as Tantrayana, Tibetan Buddhism, and Zen (Japan).
- China, Tibet, Vietnam, Japan, Korea, Mongolia and some countries in South East Asia.
- Buddhists learn among Buddha’s thinking – Many can be to Nirvana/Nibbana.
Who do practice the Buddhist regulations?
- Buddhists can voluntarily join by themselves
Buddhists learn among:
- Dharma (Buddhist regulations, and thinking)
The Five Precepts
- Do not harm or kill living things.
- Do not take things unless they are freely given.
- Lead a decent life.
- Do not speak unkindly or tell lies.
- Do not abuse drugs or drink alcohol.
Four Noble Truths
- Human life has a lot of suffering.
- The cause of suffering is greed.
- There is an end to suffering.
- The way to end suffering is to follow the Middle Path
The Eight-fold Path
- Right understanding and viewpoint (based on the Four Noble Truths).
- Right values and attitude (compassion rather than selfishness).
- Right speech (don’t tell lies, avoid harsh, abusive speech, avoid gossip).
- Right action (help others, live honestly, don’t harm living things, take care of the environment).
- Right work (do something useful, avoid jobs which harm others).
- Right effort (encourage good, helpful thoughts, discourage unwholesome destructive thoughts).
- Right mindfulness (be aware of what you feel, think and do).
- Right meditation (calm mind, practice meditation which leads to nirvana).
Activities for Khmer Buddhist Society Norway (KBS)
- Dharma learning – 2 times an every month (Saturday/Sunday)
- Invite monks to visit us at KBS Center for 1 time a month
- Khmer New Year Ceremony (Moha Songkran), and New Year Party on 13 or 14 April
- Vesak Ceremony has scheduled in May (Remind: Buddha’s birth, Enlightenment and Passed away)
- Summer: Dharma learning
- Pchum-Ben Ceremony has scheduled in Sept/October
- Khmer Culture Event has scheduled in November/December